Jump straight to the Developmental Beta Reading Request form.
As a hard working, self-published author myself, I full appreciate that we are all trying to get our best work published without breaking the bank.
I love to support other writers on the same journey as me, and have decided to offer a low cost alternative to Developmental Editing.
Developmental Editing can often cost more than $8 per 1,000 words, which equates to $400 for a fifty thousand word book. That’s a lot of money! Instead, I am happy to offer a Developmental Beta Reading service for only $3 per 1,000 words, which costs only $150 for fifty thousand words.
As well as publishing myself, I am currently studying for my Master’s in Novel Writing (due to complete in October 2018 – all merits and distinctions so far), and possess a First Class Honours (UK) degree, having previously studied English and Creative Writing. I have critiqued and edited the work of my class mates on both courses, as well as the work of writing buddies for over 5 years. In the last few months, I have provided the beta reading service to six manuscripts ranging from seventy thousand to over a hundred thousand words long.
“I first came to know Victoria DeLuis through her Magic Books Cross Promo group on Facebook. When I learned she was expanding her services to include developmental editing, I jumped at the chance. I quickly discovered her to be personable and professional and exactly what I needed. Victoria not only read through the sludge of drafts I sent her way, she pointed out obvious grammatical errors. Since she was mainly here for the story elements, the extra proof was much appreciated. Not only did she help me catch the right beats in each scene, she wrote up a detailed analysis of the manuscript’s strengths and weaknesses. Authors are often the worst about critiquing our manuscripts because we are too close to the story. While beta readers and critique partners are also essential, I can’t recommend enough using a developmental editor like Victoria. Not only did she give me perspective on the story I thought I was telling but helped unlock the narrative’s full potential. I am officially a fan and plan to use her for future books.” ~ Jennifer Silverwood
If you would like to check out my new service, the details are below:
New Developmental Beta Reading service
**** $3 per 1,000 words ($150 for a fifty thousand word manuscript) ****
Fiction only, Full or partial manuscripts, including short stories.
Genres: YA and Adult fantasy, urban fantasy, paranormal romance (any steam level), and paranormal mysteries.
- One read through of your manuscript
- Inline comments with a focus on areas of improvement
- A summary detailing good and bad parts in relation to character and motivation, dialogue, plot and conflict, pacing, setting and worldbuilding and general comments on how to improve your story
- I will also point out any glaring grammatical errors, but will not actively search for them, as this is not a proof reading service
- A CONFIDENTIAL service. Your manuscript will only be discussed with you, and will never be discussed or shared with anyone else.
I will help you figure out what’s working and what’s not and show you where to fix your manuscript.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- Copy editing, proofreading, grammar, and sentence structure
- In depth developmental editing. this is not a detailed developmental edit. I am happy to clarify my comments but they are open to your interpretation.
- I will not fat check for dates, historical, or scientific accuracy etc.
The amount of time it takes to beta read your manuscript will depend on length. I will aim to complete jobs within 2 weeks.
Price and Payment
- $3 per 1,000 words
- All payments are to be made via Paypal
- A 50% deposit will be due before work starts
- Remaining balance due on completion
- I will work to strict ethical standards
- Your work belongs to you. I will never share you work with anyone. All emails containing your manuscript and the manuscript itself will be deleted two weeks after the end of the project.
- Under no circumstances will I redistribute, copy, share, or make publish any material you present to me.
To access service:
- Please complete the Developmental Beta Reading Request form.
- I will contact you within 48 hours to confirm availability, duration required, and price
- When details have been confirmed and agreed upon. I will send you a Paypal invoice for 50% of the agreed fee. When this payment has been received, you can send me your manuscript and I will return it within the specified timescale.
- Once the manuscript has been returned with comments. I will send a Paypal invoice for the remaining costs. Please ensure this is paid within two weeks of receipt.
Any more questions?
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me via the contact form below.
I look forward to working for you!